Please be aware that if you are burning something that is not contained within a fire pit, or covered burning barrel, a Burn Permit authorizing the burn is required.

Burn Permits may be requested from the Cardston County office, at (403) 653-3712 Monday to Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. If calling between 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M., please phone (403) 653-4977 .

Burn Permits are required whether the burn is taking place within the Village of Glenwood or Cardston County and are provided free of charge.

With a Burn Permit you can burn debris such as:

  • Brush and fallen trees
  • Used power and telephone poles that do not contain preservatives
  • Wood or wood products not containing preservatives
  • Solid waste from tree harvesting
  • Straw, stubble, grass, weeds, leaves and tree prunings
  • Solid waste from post and pole operations that does not contain wood preservatives

Items prohibited to burn include:

  • Animal manure
  • Pathological waste (waste from human health centres)
  • Wood or wood products containing wood preservatives
  • Waste materials from construction sites
  • Rubber, including tires
  • Plastic, including baler twine
  • Oil
  • Containers that held pesticides, or any other chemicals
  • Plastic or rubber-coated materials, including copper wire

If the prohibited items listed above are burned and a company or individual did not take reasonable measures to prevent the contravention, enforcement action may result in an investigation by Alberta Environment and Parks. Investigations may involve taking statements, securing physical evidence and carrying out search warrants. If an investigation results in grounds for enforcement the following actions may be taken by the Province:

  • Written Warnings
  • Administrative Penalties including monetary fines
  • Orders
  • Prosecutions which may result in jail time

If you suspect that prohibited items are being burned you may report a contravention to the Alberta Environment and Parks 24-hour reporting hotline at 1-800-222-6514.*
*Written using files from Alberta Environment and Parks.